Let’s Learn The Difference Between Staggered & Ortholinear Keyboard Layouts
While reading about keyboards, you probably stumbled upon the terms staggered & ortholinear keyboards. These are two layout with different methods of aligning the keys.
Staggered keyboard layout is the common layout we use every day. It has the keys diagonally aligned. If you looked at your keyboard, you will see the O key positioned slightly to the left of the L key below it, and so on.
On the other hand, ortholinear keyboards have keys straightly aligned, where the keys make a uniform grid.
Here are two full-sized keyboards. One is ortholinear, and the other is staggered:-
And here are 60% keyboard with both layouts:-
40% keyboards is another keyboard form factor ☇ that would benefit from being ortholinear, since you may need to compensate for the lack of the arrow & numpad keys by making a layer with those keys:-
Quickly go to:-
Few Advantages To The Ortholinear Layout
There are two main advantages to ortholinear layout I know of. One is the ability to have more keys in less space. That allows for more compact keyboards. In the 60% example above, the ortholinear keyboard had 64 keys. While the staggered one had 61.
Another advantage is when you map some keys to compensate for the lack of the numpad or arrow keys, the keys would be perfectly aligned & easier to use.
Some say ortholinear keyboards are more ergonomic, but I can’t say that for sure.
The best way to know whether you would like an ortholinear keyboard is to try one out. There’s a chance you won’t go back to staggered keyboards after that. Although it’s not wrong to stay with staggered keyboards if you feel comfortable with them. They are too common & can be found everywhere.
I hope my article explained the difference between ortholinear & staggered keyboard, and see you again in another article.
Shop for keyboards in Amazon:-
- What are 60% Keyboards (65%)? And what are their advantages & disadvantages – Tech Fairy
- 40% Keyboards Form Factor, What are they? And why would you use one? – Tech Fairy
- Why ThinkPad laptops are popular, and what are their advantages?
- What are business-grade laptops? What are their advantages? And which one to buy?
- Java VS Python VS C# detailed comparison, which language to learn first?
- Do you need an Expensive motherboard for gaming?
- What is the meaning of the different USB port colors? (blue, teal blue, yellow, red, black)
- Why motherboards & laptops still come with USB 2.0 ports When USB 3.0 Is Backward Compatible?
- USB 2.0 VS USB 3.0 Comparison: What are the differences between the two ports?
- History Of Graphics card motherboard slots: PCI VS AGP VS PCI-Express VS Integrated graphics.
- What are the advantages & disadvantages of using a Trackball? And why you should use one
- What’s the difference between remake & remaster? (With multiple examples).
1 thought on “Staggered VS Ortholinear keyboard, what are the differences?”
what about the planck ez? it is a much better ortholinear keyboard than the one in this article